The Education Department’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services on Friday said it rescinded 72 documents that provide guidelines on special education policy and issues because they’re “outdated, unnecessary, or ineffective.” Kimberly Richey, acting assistant secretary of OSERS, said that the 72 documents had been scrapped to help fulfill President Donald Trump’s February executive order aimed at cutting back on regulations.
– Most of the rescinded guidelines are housed under the Office of Special Education Programs. They were issued between 2014 and 1980. Some of the most recent documents rescinded that dated from the Obama administration have to do with special education funding and ensuring that preschool children with disabilities are taught alongside preschool children without disabilities when appropriate.
– Rep. Bobby Scott of Virginia, the top Democrat on the House education committee, blasted the decision, calling it “the latest in a series of disturbing actions taken by the Trump Administration to undermine civil rights for vulnerable Americans.” Scott said in a statement that some of the guidance being rescinded related to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act had “focused on critical clarifications of the regulations required to meet the needs of students with disabilities and provide them a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.”
Source: POLITICO’s Morning Education