Message from CCDAA – May 11, 2017
Governor’s 2017-18 May Revise Budget Released
At 10:00am today, Thursday, May 11, 2017, Governor Jerry Brown released his 2017-18 May Revision budget proposal. The Governor stated that California “has ongoing pressures from Washington, and cannot keep spending.”
However, in an unexpected turn of events the May Revision restores the $500 million child care package from the 2016-17 budget, which was “paused” in the January budget proposal.
The May Revise includes the full budget agreement from last year, including:
- Increase of $67.6 million to reflect the full 10% SRR increase from 2016-17.
- Adds an additional $92.7 million to provide a 6% SRR increase to all center-based contractors beginning July 1, 2017.
- Increase of $42.2 million to increase RMR to the 75th percentile of the 2016 survey beginningJanuary 1, 2018.
- Increase of $7.9 million for 2,959 full day preschool spaces for LEAs
- Makes adjustments to Stage 2 and Stage 3.
You can view the budget summary here.
As this is the budget summary, it is silent on the policy proposal changes in the Governor’s January Budget. We will know more when the detail of the budget is released later this week.
The budget process is going to go VERY quickly this year. Due to the passage of Proposition 74, which requires all bills to be in print 72 hours prior to vote, legislators have very little time to get the budget heard and passed.
Budget subcommittees will begin reviewing the May Revision as early as Monday, where they will hear and vote on the new May Revision proposals as well as all of the budget issues they have been reviewing and debating since the Governor’s January Budget.
Please go to the Legislature’s Daily File to view a full list of upcoming hearings.
All committee hearings can be viewed online at www.calchannel.com.
CCDAA is a statewide organization that supports state-funded child development programs and their leaders